Saturday, December 4, 2010

Re-tired run

Thursday morning I went for my "light" recovery run of 5 miles, and I still could feel the "dead legs." I could blame it on many things, but I truly believe the biggest thing is the lack of rest lately. Just been too busy, and not getting to bed early enough each night, and I'm not giving my body the time it needs to heal. As you probably know, when you sleep, your body heals. More sleep = more recovery. If you have ever had plantar fasciitis, then you have experienced the healing that occurs overnight. The tissue in your arch heals as you sleep, but you sleep with your feet pointed down (pay attention to that), so when you get up in the morning and take that first step out of bed, the tissue in your arch stretches again as you put weight on it, and some of the healing that took place overnight is undone, and you feel the pain in those first few steps. Anyway, long story short, I don't have any injuries (right now), but I still can tell I need more rest.

Speaking of lack of rest, yesterday I had 16 miles on my training plan. I knew that at 9:00 AM, I had to be on base for a friend's retirement ceremony, so I had to get up early so that I could get those 16 miles done, get back, eat, shower, and get on base. I actually felt pretty good on this run - something about running in the early morning with the moon and stars still in the sky is a great start to the day. I don't have a lot to say about this run, but I really did have to hustle for the last few miles to be able to get to the ceremony on time - and yes, I cut it extremely close. 16 miles with a couple of bathroom breaks - 9:44 per mile average.

No comments:

Post a Comment