Friday, August 27, 2010

The Motivator

My family and I love the show "Wipeout!" In fact, we enjoy it so much that for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, my boys gave to me the "Wipeout" video game for Wii, which we enjoy playing very much. If you are familiar with the show, then you may recall what "The Motivator" is; if you're not familiar with the show, then you are not my friend (just kidding - but watch the show already!). One of the obstacles the contestants must face is the "Big Balls" - four giant, inflatable balls the contestants must leap onto in order to cross to the other side. What usually happens is . . . well, there's a reason they call the show "Wipeout!" Anyway, at the top of the platform before the contestants jump onto the first Big Ball, if they hesitate too long, "The Motivator" rises up (or descends down - they have a couple of different Motivators) and shoves the contestant forward . . . again, leading to a . . . well, you get the picture.

The reason I'm talking about "Wipeout" and the Motivator is that I have learned that when it comes to running, sometimes I need a Motivator. Since I ran the marathon in January, I have still been running, just not nearly as regularly as I should. I'd run 20 miles one week, and then not run the next week. I'd run a lot for several weeks in a row, and then stop for several weeks in a row. For me, "The Motivator" is signing up for a race. Which is why I'm back to blogging about running. I have signed up for my next marathon, and preparing to sign up for a half-marathon.

I have signed up for the Myrtle Beach Marathon, which is February 19, 2011, and I am checking out the possibility of running the Neuse River Bridge Run Half Marathon, which is October 16, 2010. Last year the Myrtle Beach Marathon was canceled on the day of the race due to winter weather, so let's hope that doesn't happen again. Last year I ran the Neuse River Bridge Run 10K, and it was a great race - beautiful scenery crossing the bridges and running through downtown New Bern. Really hoping it works out that I can run the Bridge Run Half - I know I'll run something, I just need to make sure my conditioning is strong enough to do the half.

So, now I have my Motivator. I've already paid for one Motivator. Thus, this week I have been rededicated to running again, and it feels great. Though I didn't turn in a lot of high mileage this week, all feels good and I'm loving every step. More to come! I promise!

2 comments:

  1. Adam, my husband is an Ultramarathon-er. I'm not sure how he prepares for his races, but he's an animal. This September, he is doing the Great Eastern Endurance Run in Charlottesville, VA, in which he will run 100K. He completed the 50K last year without even having done a marathon before. I'm amazed everyday by him, and inspired that our daughter seems to have the running bug as well!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I've started to drink the Kool-Aid! A coworker got me to do a 5K in April. Since then I've done two other 5Ks (with plans for two more this fall) and two sprint triathlons. Now I'm looking for another motivator and challenge. I'm setting my sights for a half-marathon some time next year. I figure I need to figure out how to do some proper training to do something like that. I need to start with a 10K first.

    I might see you out there some time!
    -David Grimes

    ReplyDelete