Because of a complete deluge of rain over the past week, I have not run since last Wednesday. OK - we didn't actually start getting rain till Sunday, but I didn't run towards the end of last week to heal up a couple of minor aches and pains. And yes, technically I could have run in the rain, but I really didn't want to mess my shoes up. And yes, technically I could have run Tuesday because it was actually kind of nice on Tuesday, but . . . ok - all I've got is excuses. But the good news is that I ran today!
The kids had another 2-hour delay for school today, so I knew I was not going to run as early as I usually do, which was not going to be a problem since I take Friday as my day off. But once the kids left for school, I looked out and saw an all too familiar sight for this week - rain. However last night I finally signed up for the Neuse River Bridge Run half marathon , so I knew that I desperately needed to get in a decent long run this week. With the half-marathon only 2 weeks away, I knew that I needed to get in a good run - even if it was raining. So off I went, into the rain - hoping to not have to jump over too many puddles.
Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. I really was able to avoid any significant puddles, and the rain was more like a drizzle for the first 30 minutes or so, and then it just faded away. I can't say that I even really felt all that wet. My shoes did get a little wet, but probably not as bad as when I run in 90 degree weather. As I approached downtown Goldsboro, I began to detect a different aroma. Now, mind you, the first part of my run I go past a Krispy Kreme, where they had the "hot and ready" sign lit. As I approached the area where I can sometimes smell the bread bakery, instead I began to detect the aroma of . . . fish? The closer I got, the stronger the smell became. Can I just say that when you are running, some aromas are better than others, and some should not be experienced. Today, the aroma of the fish was not helping me - though it wasn't nearly as bad as when the Disney marathon took us past the sewage treatment plant. The occasion for the fish smell was the annual fish fry for one of the civic organizations. How come annual fish fries seem to occur every other week? It's kind of like JCPenney and their "best sale of the year!" that happens every other week. Anyway . . .
Fortunately I was able to outrun the smell and logged 10 miles. I was really curious if I was going to be able to make it for 10 today - I can honestly say that I thought I was going to stop at 7 miles, but I was able to press on. While today running 13 miles would have been difficult, I do have the confidence that I can do it in a couple of weeks. So glad I was able to get out there and run! Instead of having to worry and doubt that I'd be able to do it, now I know I can make it happen. I don't think I'll be setting a PR (personal record), but I've only run one other half-marathon. However, that was a decent time for me - 1:59. Right now, I think I'd be pleased just to come in under 2:15. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
Friday, October 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment