Friday, October 15, 2010

Race day tomorrow!

I have been super busy lately and have not been able to report much, but I did run last week and this week on Monday. Had a few health issues crop up that required a couple of trips to the doctor - first Monday afternoon, and then again on Thursday - for 2 completely different issues. I won't go into details, but when I went to the doctor on Thursday, I honestly did not think I stood a chance of running in the Bridge Run Half-Marathon tomorrow in New Bern. I woke up early Thursday morning in a great deal of pain, feeling as if my left big toe was a balloon that was about to pop. I could not bear any weight at all on that toe, and it was in fact swollen a lot. Turns out that the antibiotic I started on Monday sometimes triggers a "severe arthritic condition," and my was presenting like gout. I've heard of gout, but it is usually with older people in my congregation. Now I know what they are going through, and it really is painful. The doctor did change up my meds, and put me on a steroid, and believe it or not I am pretty confident I will be able to run tomorrow. In just over 24 hours after beginning the steroid, I am already pain-free. Hopefully it will stay like that tomorrow. Should be a beautiful run, and I'll look forward to reporting on it! My goal time is anywhere under 2:15. My PR is 1:59, but I am not really thinking I'll be near that.

No comments:

Post a Comment