Monday, August 15, 2011

Fall into Summer

This morning it really felt like Fall out there on my run. I have noticed that when it is nice outside that it will not be until about the end of the first mile that I will need to wipe the sweat off of my brow. If I wait and run later in the day, I barely make it to the first half-mile. Today, it may have even been later as I was truly enjoying the beautiful morning. This morning stood in such contrast to last night when we were in the midst of torrential downpours as a thunderstorm battered our area. I was concerned that I might run into some huge puddles on the streets, but I was able to avoid them for a nice, smooth 5 miles at a 9:03 pace.

Presently I am at day 15 in my run streak. Yesterday I could not get myself out of bed in time to go run before church, and then I was concerned about the possibility of evening storms, so I went running yesterday after lunch. In the end, I made an excellent choice, because by the time we did get home last night from picking up our boys who stayed the weekend at my parents, the storms were raging. I need close calls like that one to remind that if I am going to try to keep up the run streak, then I will definitely need to do all that I can to get the miles done early in the day.

Today on my run I did notice my first bit of "pain" that I have had since I began running the streak. Embarrassingly enough, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my running - instead, I think it came as the result of Jenn and I playing some Wii bowling on Saturday! Hey - when you're 39, even the small things can hurt sometimes! My dad and sister were asking me yesterday about "don't you need a day of rest?" Not to be arrogant - trust me, I don't have much of anything to be arrogant about - but when someone who runs a lot runs only a mile, that is a rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment