Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Seate Streak

I did not realize that it has been quite as long as it has been since I last posted. Since the MB Marathon back in February, my running has been pretty inconsistent. I'd run at most 3-4 days a week, and low mileage - usually nothing more than 3-4, but occasionally would do 5-6. I did run a 5K back in May with my son Jacob, and he beat me (of course), but I did come in first place for my age group - which should not be too surprising since there were not very many runners in the race (and NO, I was not the only one in my age group). I think I got intimidated by the heat of the summer early, and in June I logged a total of 10.2 miles. More than any nagging injuries (though there were a few), I had more excuses than anything. In my typical idiotic way, however, once it really started getting hot in July is when I started back trying to regularly run. Problem was I was still only running about 3 days a week.

It's about that time that I coincidentally read/heard in 2 or 3 different places about "running streaks." No, this is not "streaker running," which implies a lot less clothing than what I run with. A "running streak" is when someone runs for at least one mile every day. Every. Day. I came across articles about individuals who had completed running streaks of 20-30 years - running every single day for 20-30 years through whatever kind of weather. The articles spoke of people running on a treadmill in the middle of winter just to keep their streak alive. I read one article about a man (a United Methodist minister actually) whose wife's water broke, and he begged her to let him go run just one mile to keep his streak alive, which he already had going for several years. Just happening upon the articles over the course of a couple of weeks in July was like seeds being cast in my mind. I kept thinking about those articles and thinking about all the excuses I come up with to not run some days. Funny thing is, almost every day that I run I actually do feel better for the rest of the day. I'm more awake in the morning even though I awaken at 5:30 to get my run in before it gets hot. When my nose is congested, my run helps break up all that snot (now you know you're glad you read this). Mentally I feel refreshed after a run, because on my run I've either thought through all of my problems, or I've completely mentally checked out (I actually had to look at the map on my computer from my Garmin today to see where I had run - I could not remember!). So the idea for a "Seate Streak" began to form in my mind at some point in July.

This year I celebrate a "milestone" birthday - I'll turn 40 next week. I began to think about the possibility of starting a running streak on my birthday and see if I could do it for one year. But then Monday, August 1 rolled around. And then Tuesday, August 2. And then Wednesday, August 3. Next thing you know I had a run streak going. Friday I slept in and skipped my morning run, but as the day wore on I kept thinking about it, so Friday night around 6:30 I went for a run. Saturday I had to go help set up the soccer fields, and again was tempted to skip my run since I slept later than I should have - but again felt convicted and went and ran just before noon. Sunday was no problem, but then Monday came. I was the proud owner of a 1 week streak, and it came crashing on Monday when I hit snooze too many times. I thought maybe I would run at lunch, but by lunch it was already MUCH too hot. I thought maybe late afternoon, but by then it was CRAZY hot! I lamented to Jennifer that my streak was over, but that I would start the real streak on my birthday, and she said, "Why not go for a short run tonight after VBS? It's only a mile and it won't take you long to do that." So Monday night at 9:00 I went out and ran (did 2 miles). And the streak is still active today.

One thing I need to be careful about with this "Seate Streak" is that I do not want to over-do it. I vividly recall the 2 stress fractures that I had a couple of years ago from over-doing it. So I am being careful with my mileage and pace. On the days that I would consider my "rest" days, I am doing only about a mile or so. At first I thought it wouldn't even be worth it to put on my shoes for only a mile, but I have found that even that can be satisfying. I have to take my son to the orthopaedic doctor on Thursday to check on his broken wrist, and I'm going to bring up the streak and my past stress fractures to him. The big difference between now and when I had the stress fractures is then I was still pretty new to running - and I was running like crazy - hard/fast miles trying to become the runner I was in high school. At some point I began to realize that I will not run 5 minute miles again, and I'm OK with that. So now I can run and relax - breath in the scenery, and pray. I hope to be realistic with this streak and not become obsessed to keep it alive, but I see this as one way to keeping me accountable.

Seate Streak: 10 days

No comments:

Post a Comment