I have definitely been running this week, but I haven't had the time to blog about it. Monday morning was a great run, especially since I had taken several days off. As I wrote about last week, I was having some issues with my right achilles, and so I decided to not risk making it worse by running last Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Since I usually don't run Saturday or Sunday, I only skipped one day, but it felt like forever. When I set out for my Monday run I had planned on just seeing how it felt, and if it didn't bother me too bad I would do 5 miles. I did 7 instead. It seemed to hurt a little bit around the 2nd or 3rd mile, but just like that the pain went away and I felt terrific. 7 miles at an average pace of 9:04 was not too bad of a Monday run.
Since I did 7 miles on Monday, I decided that I really did not want to do too many miles on Tuesday. I realized that I really have not done any type of interval training, which is designed to make you stronger, faster, and build your endurance - and it breaks up the monotony of just going out and running. One of my favorite type of interval workouts is the fartlek - which if you're not familiar with the term, it sounds funny and possibly appropriate for something I would do. The term is Swedish and means "speed play." What you do is you set a spot out in front of you at a random distance, and you run fast to that point. Once you reach that point, you slow down to recover, and then you do it again. I decided to run down to the nearby park for my warm up and once I got there I just did as many flat-out fartleks as I could without throwing up. Though I dreaded the mile run back home, that workout felt so good - I could feel it in my lungs the rest of the day. I also slept QUITE well that night.
Friday, September 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment