Monday was a tough day to get out and run. After my 9 miles on Friday, I went out and trimmed some bushes at the church since Sunday was Homecoming, and I wanted it to look nice. I spent about 3 hours out there working, and that was after my 9 mile run. I weighed myself after I was done with it all, and I weighed about 9 pounds less than my normal weight (I weighed in a 166, while I normally float around 175 - granted, I once got up to 225 . . . but that was before I started running). Saturday I was so tired and achy from using muscles I don't usually use, and I really felt like it took almost all weekend to get rehydrated. However, I was still able to get myself out the door and head out for 7 miles.
One of the nice things about running in the middle of the town is that there are sidewalks almost everywhere I run. One of the bad things about running in the middle of the town is that those sidewalks run alongside of streets, and on those streets are cars, trucks, and bicycles. Whenever I approach an intersection I have to take special care before I enter, because even if I have the right of way and I know other vehicles have stoplights, I also know they don't always pay attention to them. Monday as I was running I was approaching an intersection where there was a stop sign for the traffic that would be crossing in front of me. In other words, I had the right of way because there was no stop sign facing me. There was this dude on a bmx bicycle that was peddling just as fast as he could approaching the same intersection, and he had the stop sign facing him, so I knew that I was fine to proceed through the intersection. I know that the dude saw me, and I know that I saw him, but that idiot just peddled right past that stop sign and almost slammed right into me - encouraging me as he went past to "Get the &*^% out of the way!" I swear, if I wasn't a couple of miles from my house, and if I wasn't already so darn tired, I might would have picked up a rock or something and tossed it at the jerk. Ok - we all know that I wouldn't have, but I at least gave it a thought.
I just tell this to remind us all where ever we are to pay attention to our surroundings. If you are driving, please try to keep an eye out for pedestrians, cyclists, and other drivers. If you are running or walking, please try to keep an eye out for other pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers. And if you are that dude riding the bmx bike, please get the &*^% out of my way next time.
Back to the run, 7.5 nice and easy miles. A good way to start a stressful week.
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment