Friday, June 7, 2013

Flood of devotion

This morning I was not able to go to the Y for my normal workout time because today my youngest son was completing the 8th grade.  With the time of the awards/graduation ceremony, I knew that I would have to go later - which is just fine since Fridays are the day that I take off.  Fitting that on a day that was filled with a flood of emotion for many was also a day of flash floods as Tropical Storm Andrea great the area with a sloppy wet kiss.  Now having had 2 sons complete middle school at Eastern Wayne Middle School, I am so grateful for the devotion that the teachers and administrators have poured out to these students - and I know that both of my boys have been shaped under their tutelage. 

After a great lunch at Sumo, I was able to make it to the Y for my "me" time.  I think one of the things that I miss the most about not being able to run yet is that my runs were such a spiritual/devotion kind of time.  It was just me and God.  Yes, sometimes the devil would sneak in, but usually is was just God and me.  The deep water jogging has been a decent replacement as I rehab my foot, and today was true to form.  When I got into the water, there were very few people in the pool, which was a definite plus in my book.  Though I've tested on the MBTI as an extreme extrovert, I definitely have developed some extreme introvert tendencies - and I love, love, love that time where it is just me.  I found it to be an interesting scene as I could look out of the windows and see the torrential downpours, while I "ran" in the 10' deep water. 

As I ran, I kept reflecting upon how God has guided and directed my path through some stressful situations lately, and I just gave thanks for His ever-faithful devotion.  After my first 5 minutes of warm-ups, I began to alternate intensity every 5 minutes - 5 hard and fast, 5 slow and steady.  Before I knew it, my intended 30 minutes were up - but I just was not ready to leave what had become a sacred space for me.  So I decided to stretch it to 45.  When it hit 45, I decided to do what so many teachers have done day in and day out - I went beyond the expectation and I completed the full hour.  When I climbed out of the pool, my body felt like Jello - and it felt amazing.  I haven't had a workout/run like that for several months - possibly since October when I had my last longish run of 8 miles.  I definitely had that "runner's high" today, and I was reminded how much I've missed that.  And I definitely look forward to earning that again - hopefully within a month - out on the road. 

The doctor said it was usually 2 months from the surgery before someone could start running, but he also said each case was different.  I know that my foot feels better today that it did just one week ago.  I am not going to push it too fast to get back to running - but I am getting excited because I know every day is a little bit closer.  Between now and then, I've just got to remain devoted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment