After a late night visit to the local hospice for someone who is dying, I was fairly certain when I finally went to bed last night that I would not be going to the gym this morning. However, as is often the case, I felt guilty this morning, so I still went. Only having a few hours of sleep, and only having 1 cup of coffee, off I went and I wearily got up on the elliptical trainer. Once I got everything programed on the machine, I just went to work - and to truly escape from the fact that I was stuck on a different kind of "dreadmill," I stuck my ear buds in and listened to Pandora on my phone. One of the stations that I've found on there is the "Worship Central" station, and it plays pretty current worship and praise music from a lot of the artists that I like. Listening to the music, and not having to worry about where I was running (since I was on the elliptical, of course), I just shut my eyes and focused on the music and my breathing - though more focused on the music. Sometimes I get so immersed in what I'm doing that I almost completely forget that other people are even around. Such was the case this morning. I soon realized that I was singing harmony to the melody of "How Great is Our God" by Chris Tomlin. I knew it was the harmony, though I'm not sure that the 20 or so other people in the room who were annoyed by me knew that's what it was.
Everybody has a harmony in their lives to a song that no one else hears. It's that thing that drives you to something - whether it is what drives you to greatness in your work, your sports, or even your music. That drive is the perfect harmony to what it is you are trying to accomplish - and many times no one else can see how compatible the 2 things are. For runners, people will often say "I can't understand why anybody would want to run! I'd only run if somebody's chasing me or it they've rung the dinner bell." (Be honest - tell me that you've never heard either or those - or if you're not a runner, you know that you've said it!) It's as if they only hear the harmony but don't understand the melody. Same with followers of Christ - the world will say "I can't believe you'd get up early on Sunday/give your money away/go off on that mission trip for people that can't help themselves!" Because again, they can't hear the whole song - the melody and the harmony that bring it all together.
For you, I hope that you will keep singing the harmony, even if nobody hears the music in your life. I know I did, albeit not quite as loud. After the elliptical, I did some intensive circuit training - and then I was wiped out. Time to rest - because every song has at least one rest.
Thursday, June 6, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment