I cannot believe that the last time that I ran was Thursday, November 22, 2012. In a sense it is tough to call yourself a "runner" if you haven't actually run in 6 months, but being a runner is more than just putting on the shoes and pounding the pavement, trail, or even dreadmill/treadmill - it's also a state of mind.
November 22 was Thanksgiving Day, and my family and I were visiting with other family up in Frederick, MD. That morning several of us got up early to brave the cold and join over 5,000 in the Frederick Turkey Trot. I had known for quite some time that my foot was hurting, right where the right big toe joins the foot. I had noticed that while standing barefoot, that "knuckle" was larger than on the other foot, but really didn't give too much consideration. After all, I'm a runner - and runner's don't feel pain; we just endure it. However that morning as I ran through the crowded streets of beautiful downtown Frederick, I began to notice that my gate had changed. I began to notice that when my right foot would strike the ground I was subconsciously running on the outside of my foot - avoiding impact and movement on my right great toe (as is the proper name for the big toe). I decided that when I finished the race that I needed to take a bit of a break from running, because maybe it was just some swelling from an unknown injury, and I would give it a month or so to heal up. However, in a month's time the swelling did not go down, nor did the pain in that toe subside.
After several months of it not improving I spoke with the orthopedic doctor who is a member of my congregation, and we finally set up an appointment. After xrays, he was able to determine that I had arthritis in the great toe, and that bone spurs had been forming and creating that "swelling" across the top of the great toe. From the looks of the xray, you could see that the bone was hitting bone each time I moved that toe - and because of the advancement of the arthritis, I had very little movement of that toe. He said that over time the bones would fuse themselves together and I would not be able to move that toe - which would mean I at least would not have the pain of bone rubbing against bone with each step, but I also would probably not be able to run. The decision was made to perform a cheilectomy, which is essentially cutting/filing/scraping away the extra bone tissue that would allow me to have movement once again in that toe. This would likely not be a permanent solution, but one that would hopefully get me back on the road.
On Wednesday, May 15, I went in for the outpatient procedure. Making an incision about 2 inches long straight along the top of my toe, he found that a bone fragment had already broken off at some point, so he was able to just remove that. He had to cut away more bone than he had anticipated, as it was more significant than the xrays had shown. He saw very little cartilage remaining in that joint, which means that I will have to continue to deal with at least some pain until a better solution is devised. However, he gave me hope that one day I will be back. After getting around on crutches and staying home laid up for a few days, I insisted to be in worship that Sunday. That day I preached at 2 morning services, had a church luncheon, attended an hour and a half administrative council meeting, and then was a part of one more worship service - I was done in completely. It took me 2 days to recover from all of that activity. I had no idea how painful and draining this procedure was going to be.
Since that time, slowly but surely every day I've made progress. Since last Tuesday, I've been back in 2 shoes (instead of wearing a walking boot) - so I'm ahead of schedule by a couple of weeks - but this is also under doctor's supervision and guidance, so don't fuss about me pushing it too hard. I still have very little flexibility with that toe, and there is still pain - but that is to be expected considering the bone is still healing. I still have to ice and elevate it some on some nights, but not all. And I'm walking with even less of a limp each day, putting more weight and pressure on that toe as I walk.
So yesterday I began working my way back. One of the exercises that I have come to enjoy during the time that I have not been able to run is water jogging - I check out a floatation belt from the front desk at the YMCA, put it around my waist, and then get in the deep end of the pool and just "run" in the water. It's not the same as the pavement, but I have grown to love that almost as much as running outside. It's never too hot (indoor pool), and it's never too cold. And it allows me that same sense of peace that running does. So yesterday was my first time back in the water since the day before my surgery - and it felt great! It felt so good to be back, and I only had a little bit of pain as the water would make my toe move a certain way a few times. Today I did an eliptical trainer for a while and then did some circuit training. The goal that I have in conjunction with my doctor is that I'll be able to start actually running again by July 15 - and possibly before - it all depends on how that bone heals. I will confess that last night as I left the church in the dark of the night, I did run about 20 yards - small, short steps, and of course very slow. Slightly uncomfortable, but honestly not too bad. Can't imagine how it might feel in a couple of weeks! Can't wait - because I'm a runner - and runner's don't feel pain; we endure it.
Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment