Thursday, October 29, 2009

Adaptability

I really was hurting from the run this past Saturday. I truly believe I was pretty dehydrated, and I was actually still not feeling well all the way till Tuesday morning. So while my schedule called for 5 easy miles on Monday, I decided I needed to rest my body. Wednesday I was scheduled to run a 4-mile fartlek (who fartleked?), so I decided I would do a 5-mile fartlek instead. My youngest son wanted to run 2 miles with me because he was going to miss soccer practice that night for "Trunk or Treat" at the church, and we were talking about the run as we were on the way home from school. Next thing you know, his friend that rides home with us decided he wanted to run 2 miles with us. I knew this was a bad idea - Aaron runs a lot with soccer, and he's one of the better runners on his team - so he's a pretty strong runner. I was pretty confident this kid wouldn't be able to hang with us, and that we'd definitely have to slow things down for him to keep up. I was right - he couldn't finish 1 mile with us, and he walked back home. Anyway, I was glad when the 2 miles were done with Aaron because though he is 10, he still doesn't seem to have the sense to really pay attention as he's crossing the roads while we run. I was getting so stressed watching him ahead of me (of course) and seeing him not look both ways, it was such a relief to get back home. Here are the splits:
Mi 1 - 8:53.76
Mi 2 - 8:34.07
Mi 3 - 8:57.42
Mi 4 - 9:11.09
Mi 5 - 8:36.76
0.31 Mi - 2:35.27
Total = 46:48.37

Tomorrow I've got 11 scheduled, but I really feel like I may push it to 12 - at least that's the hope. I've already prepared much better than for my last long run - I've eaten better today, and I've been drinking plenty of water. I'll get a good night's sleep and eat a good breakfast, and off I go in the AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment