I decided to begin this blog because I have read and heard in so many places that you should blog about your runs as a way of keeping track of things, and getting feedback from others. I've been putting it off for quite a while, and as I'm now approaching the last few months before I finally fulfill something I've been striving for, I figured I might as well start now.
This year has been a crazy year. My new years resolution was to run a marathon in 2009. As I had been running again since the summer of '08 and had run a half-marathon in '08, I figured that was an attainable goal. My problem is that when I set out to do something, I go all out - as in "over-training." Early in January I could not ignore the pain in my shin anymore, and soon was diagnosed with a stress fracture. With that, my plans for a November marathon on the Outer Banks came to a halt. After 7 weeks I was able to begin again, only to have to back off again due to pain. Finally I was pain free, and set my goal for the 2010 Disney World Marathon. I went ahead and registered, started running all out again, only to be hit with another stress fracture - same location, different leg.
So now I've changed up my stride (shorter more efficient strides), and changed up my training (only 3-4 runs a week). This has all seemed to work much better, and I am running pain free! I'll fill in more details as I go, but I don't have much time today. Typically my training plan has me running on Monday and Thursday, with the long run on Saturday. Lately I've taken to running a quick mile on Wednesday with my sons, who I am finding are very quick. Today I ran with them and finished my mile in 7:18, which is without a doubt the quickest I've run in some time. Tomorrow I've got 4 miles on the plan.
Looking forward to possibly running a 5K on Saturday (it's a small, local race being sponsored by a nearby church - I may run only to be able to beat the other pastor!). However, I am supposed to run 7 miles on Saturday, so I've got to decide this: Do I run the 5K and then run 4 more miles later to complete my 7, or do I run the 5K early in the day, and then later set out and run my 7? Hmmm . . .
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment