Monday, March 8, 2010

Wagon

Sorry to realize it has been 2 weeks since my last run! I know I had hoped and planned on running, but just never really found the time. However, today the weather is amazing, and even though I could tell that allergy season is starting up (drainage, anyone?), I just HAD to go out. I planned on just doing a nice and easy 3-mile jog. I don't usually call it a jog, because I sort of distinguish between a jog and a run. For me, a jog is just a light run where you could keep up an easy conversation with someone who might be running/jogging with you. A run has a little more intensity, and short sentences are possible - but not much more than that. Funny that I describe those 2 things in that way - especially since most of the time I am running/jogging by myself.

Anyway, I set out for a 3 mile jog and things felt great. I was just loving the weather and listening to some good tunes. I didn't want to pay attention to my Garmin - I just wanted to jog by feel. I knew that since I had not run for 2 weeks that I could not expect much - maybe 3 miles around 10:00 each. When I heard the first mile beep on my watch, I was amazed to see it was a 9:11 mile. I realize that is not fast, but it was still faster than I was expecting - especially since I felt like I was barely moving. As tempted as I was, I was still intent on following my plan - jog 3 miles, not run 3 miles. It's just I really began to feel good - I mean GOOD. I kept thinking about how much I had missed this for the past 2 weeks, and I kept swearing to myself that I am not going to miss 2 weeks again, unless it is to recoup from injury. I heard the watch beep again at mile 2 and though I didn't want to look down, I did - and I saw that the second mile had been jogged in 8:52. Again, I realize for some runners that is VERY slow - but for me, I was just elated. I was elated because I still felt so darn good - I felt like I wasn't even trying and I had all the breath I could have preached a sermon (a short one, albeit).

Well, if you're reading this, you're probably reading this because you know me. And if you know me, you may know that I tend to be a bit competitive, and I push myself - sometimes when I shouldn't. Since I felt so good, I decided to intentionally (this time) pick up the pace just a little. I actually did it for 2 reasons: one, I wanted to make sure I felt like I had exercised - this was going too easy; two, ok - yes, I am competitive and I wanted to see what I could do. I didn't want to go all out, but I wanted to pick it up to a comfortably fast pace. I finished that third mile in 8:27. Again, that's not setting any records or winning any races (or even pacing in my age group), but I really enjoyed that run today. Assuming all the hardware still feels good tomorrow, I may have to go out for another!

No comments:

Post a Comment