Wednesday, November 11, 2009

3-mile swim

Saturday afternoon after my run I had a funeral that I had to perform, and as I was waiting for the funeral to begin I realized that my throat was REALLY sore. It was strange - it had not bothered me one bit, but man when it hit, it hit. Sunday morning I was miserable at worship, and kept feeling worse as the day wore on. Monday I stayed home and in bed all day. Finally yesterday (Tuesday), I began to feel at least half-way alive. In fact, as the day wore on, I began to feel better and better and stronger. I was still dealing with some sinus congestion and pressure, but other than that, I really felt great. Knowing that Ida was to bring lots and lots of rain for Wednesday and Thursday, and that Friday I have to get in my long run, I decided that when I took Jacob to soccer practice, that I would just go out and run around the school for the duration of his practice.

About the time we were driving to the school for practice, the rain began to fall. However, I made up my mind that I would still run as long as they were practicing. So we both got out of the car, and off we went. I ended up trudging 3 miles in the midst of the downpour as his team was on the field practicing - and I loved every bit of it! After spending a day and a half (Sunday afternoon and all day Monday) basically in the bed or in the recliner, it felt AWESOME to burn some energy. The running cleared out my head, and the rain was really great for cooling me down. Unfortunately, the rain also weighed my shoes down quite a bit, but I figured that made for even more exercise to have to lug those things around. All in all - it was a fun run. And Jacob said it was an awesome practice - it was neat to go sliding around all over the soccer field. They did end practice early, so I only did the 3 miles, but they were good and productive.
Mi 1 - 7:53.9
Mi 2 - 8:21.67
Mi 3 - 8:29.96
Total = 24:45.53

I usually share these blogposts on my facebook page, but I know a lot of my friends there have known that I was sick, and I'm pretty sure they'd be giving me a lecture about how I should not have run. To that I say this: the run really made me feel better, and I feel MUCH better today. Still some congestion, but not much. The point is we all have to do what we think is best for our own bodies, and I needed that. Now I have to just wait to knock out my long run on Friday - not sure how long I'll go - either 14-16 miles. I've got to do it early Friday AM because Friday afternoon I'll have to be in Fayetteville preparing to lead 6,000 youth in worship for the weekend! Pilgrimage, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment