Tuesday, January 19, 2010

1st Half Marathon training run

Well now that I've got my first marathon under my belt, time to turn to my second half-marathon. I ran a half-marathon in November of 2008, and I finished in 1:59. My goal this time around would be to go faster, but that was a while ago. When I plugged my numbers for the marathon into Runner's World SmartCoach program, it came back with a decent training plan, but I'm definitely going to revise the plan a little bit. Because my marathon time was 4:50, the SmartCoach program is projecting a 2:15 half-marathon, which is not what I want to happen.

Yesterday I followed the plan and did not run, instead I did some core exercises. That has been one thing I have not done at all - any abs, back, shoulders, arms, etc. This time I'm going to do it, and today I feel the burn. Pretty soon this 3-pack may turn into a 6-pack! Today was supposed to be 5 miles - 1 mile warm up, 3 tempo miles at 10:11 per mile pace, and 1 mile cool down. I tweaked that a bit. :-)

Mi 1 - 9:37.89
Mi 2 - 8:17.86
Mi 3 - 7:49.98
Mi 4 - 7:38.95
Mi 5 - 8:33.64
0.11 Mi 0:53.73
Total = 42:52.05

Those 3 tempo miles represent a 23:44 5K, which would be a PR for me - and I could still have gone faster. I was telling my wife that mentally something seems different about running now for me. When I was running those 3 tempo miles, though at times it was difficult, all I could think about was "at least it's not 26 miles!"

No comments:

Post a Comment