An idea came to me on my run on Friday about raising money when I run the marathon, and I have no idea if this kind of thing is in place right now or not, so I thought I would put it out there and begin researching it. I am extremely grateful for the men and women of our nation's armed forces. The commitment and sacrifice that they make is remarkable, and most of us in the ordinary world have no idea what they go through. As I ran past the Air Force base on Friday, my thoughts turned to the airmen and other military people who are serving in locations far from home, and how many of them may not be able to travel home for the holidays due to the cost of the airfare.
What I began to wonder about is this: Is there a charity or organization out there that helps cover the cost of airfare for soldiers and their families to be able to travel for the holidays? Maybe they already get a discount, but I know they aren't paid enough for what they do. If there is something like this in place, I'd really like to try to raise funds for it by running the marathon. If I can find something I'm going to try to get people to pledge for every mile I run. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to raise much, but if it could help one soldier travel home for the holidays next year, then at least it would help that one. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment