Saturday, December 26, 2009

Last "long" run

On Christmas Eve I mentioned that my long run today would "only" be 12 miles. I mentioned how it seems so strange to say it's only 12 miles, considering that just a few months ago I had only run 12 miles once, and that was for a half-marathon last year. However, during this marathon training, I have definitely gotten stronger. On Christmas Eve I mentioned that while it is "only" 12 miles, it still isn't easy for me. I'm really not trying to be arrogant, but today 12 miles was easy! I am not sure that I've had a stronger run than today's run. Though it was cool out and the wind was pretty strong, I was stronger. Which was pretty amazing, considering I had such low expectations for today's run, and I almost decided to not even run. Last night someone broke into the church (again), so I was over there for quite a while and didn't get back till close to 12:00, then I need to settle down - so it was a late night.

I ran out on some country roads, and I just really felt amazing. Part of it was definitely mental. At some point I began thinking about all of my friends who will be supporting me in the marathon in a couple of weeks, and I just kept thinking about how I didn't want to let anyone down. For whatever reason, those thoughts just seemed to push me harder and my last mile was my fastest. Interestingly enough, at the end of my run as I was walking back to my car I saw 2 friends who are going to be running in the Disney marathon in a couple of weeks also. They were running 20 miles today, which I'm not sure is a great idea this close to the marathon. All the training plans I've seen call for you to begin cutting back 3 weeks out. However, everybody needs different preparation, and I'm hoping it works well for them. They are both good guys (and ministers as well - one a Methodist pastor, and his son is a baptist pastor).

Here are the splits:
Mi 1 - 9:07.65
Mi 2 - 8:56.87
Mi 3 - 9:03.03
Mi 4 - 8:54.64
Mi 5 - 8:51.28
Mi 6 - 9:14.09
Mi 7 - 9:06.31
Mi 8 - 9:07.43
Mi 9 - 9:14.04
Mi 10 - 9:00.66
Mi 11 - 8:52.1
Mi 12 - 8:41.5
Total = 1:48:09.60

No comments:

Post a Comment